Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Style Me... Sweet Applesauce

I try to make as much food as possible from scratch.  I have intolerance's to most preservatives (they can make life quite uncomfortable, tmi? sorry).  So therefore we buy our produce from a local organic farm, and our meat from a local farmer (free range), and I make most of our bread etc... sometimes there isn't time, but I try.

My Parents have two apple trees in their backyard, and in years past they really haven't yielded many apples... but this year they are full of beautiful apples.  So I decided to take full advantage and make us some applesauce.  This is something my mother did growing up, and nothing makes me think of fall more than the smell of cooking apples.

Here are some pictures from the day.




*I learned from my mother after I pealed all the apples that they didn't need to be pealed ...argh... oh well that made the other two batches easier.
*yummy mushy apples (the smell is intoxicating).
*making the apples in to applesauce.
*Bean stirring in a tiny amount of sugar (just to make it less tart).
*My rosy cheeks from standing over a steaming pot of apples.... and it being already humid out... whew... it was hard work but all worth it.  Now we have a few containers of frozen applesauce that can be used for school lunches over this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment